Wednesday, December 27, 2006

Kids on the block

I have to write again. It's been such a good day. Whole PP seems to be in a good mood today. I tried smiling for the first time in while when dealing with the tuk-tuk drivers and I'll be damned, it worked! The guy said, okay, with your smile, 2 dollars less. I was trying to get to the Killing fields where the Khmer Rouge slaughtered people. It's a peaceful place now but you can still see bones and clothing everywhere.

The drivers was good (meaning quite). No weird laughs or creepy pick up lines! Just the basic questions. Excellent!

Yesterday I went to visit an orphanage. The kids were extremely sweet and nice. But I realized that I'm really not good with kids!

When the guy working there had giving me tour in the place, he was like, okay, now you can go play with the kids. I freaked! What do I do? Every time I meet a child, I try to have a conversation with them. I ask what do they wanna do when they grow up, what kind of movies they like etc. But if their English is limited to very basics, I'm totally lost. But this guy there told me there's hope. It just takes a bit getting used to.

Because it was Christmas and all that I bought them rice for 30 dollars. I have to say that made me feel good. Even if I'm totally handicapped with playing, at least I can give them food.

One kid I do get a long with is this girl selling books on the street where my hostel (if you can call that crappy place that) is. When I first met her, she looked really starving and I bought her a bunch of bananas. Ever since we been on good terms. Last night she came to sit with me while I was having dinner. She was just smiling, drawing and drinking an orange juice. I think she didn't like it but was trying to be polite.

I asked her how old she was and I hope she answered wrong. She showed me that she is 13. That freaks me out because to me she looked more like 10. But then again, I don't know anything about kids.

That's the benefit of staying in one place for a while. You are a familiar face. I guess I shouldn't be so negative towards people approaching me. If they don't touch me (some do) I am fine. Anyways, in Finland I will probably miss people telling me I'm beautiful on the street.

Ps. Heli! Ostin just Valkoiset hampaat divarista! Tuli fiilis, etta se ois kiva lukea taas ja alkuperaiskielella... Meilaile, babe!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

HYVÄÄ UUTTA VUOTTA MIRJA!

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx said...

Buon Anno Nuovo!
<3 t. Erika ja Massimo

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx said...

Hyvää Syntymäpäivää Mirja! _Erika <3