Monday, January 29, 2007

A Life in a Day

From the boat
Me trying a new dress on. There's no big mirror in my room.


Me after the market and a good indian dinner yesterday.

http://www.viceland.com/int/dd.php?id=642&country=se


Well. Some of you might be wondering what am I actually doing in Asia. So I thought it might be a good idea to take you through a few days in Bangkok.

26th of Jan 2007

I got here at 5 am after 10 hour bus ride from Chiang Mai. The bus was okay, I was well prepared. I had my hoodie, pashmina and two blankets from the bus. Still it could have been warmer. Fucking air con.

It was cool coming to Bangkok again, it's always a nice feeling when you get to a place been to before, particularly if it's 5 am. I found the guest house Carina had told me about and checked inn. I got a weird room. It has air con which I don't need, no bathroom and two beds. And it's quite expensive. I only stay there 'cause it has a wooden floor and a high ceiling, hence it reminds me of my place back home.

Anyway. After I checked in I went to sleep for a couple of hours. Then I just walked around, checked out if Khao san is the same as a couple of months ago. It was. My favorite designer had a shop now, though.

The I went to have curry for dinner in a place where they showed the Blood Diamond.

27th of Jan 2007

I decided to follow more of Carinas advice and went look for a Saturday market near the university. I found it. Then I went looking for a amulet market, found that too. I spend a few hours choosing the six amulets I ended up buying. Then I walked to China town which is like a huge market selling flowers, fruits, food, Buddha statues, chinese medicine and other stuff.

The whole way on from the first market was actually continuous market on my right and on my left I could marvel the Grand palace and beautiful wats. Didn't go in 'cause I was wearing a top. On the way I met a South African woman who had had her money belt stolen and was now trying to find a bank that was open. She asked to borrow my guide book and we chatted for a while. I was proud of myself for not smoking when she offer. I quit like four days ago.

From China town I headed back to Banglamphoo, where my guest house is. With dinner I watched Brokeback mountain and Baabel.

28th of Jan 2007

I went on my big mission. I was determent to Chatuchack market. It's actually easy to get there but some how I was sure I'm gonna fuck it up. It takes a boat and two different lines on the sky train. When I was looking at my map some where a very nice looking police officer came to help me.

Anyways, the trip was good. From the boat it's cool to watch how people here stretch their houses on the water. Back home we just live by the water. that might be because we don't wanna pollute the water in any way, though... Getting there also gave me a better picture of Bangkok. I noticed some places me and Francisco were when we were lost in Bangkok.

Nothing could have prepared me to what I was about to encounter. I was told that the market is big or even huge. It was bloody enormous. I think I didn't see half of it. Best of all, it's not just a typical Asian market. There's also cool vintage clothing and young designers selling their stuff. I bought six shirts. I don't wanna think about the money I spend.

When I got to Banlamphoo I was exhausted. As you can see above.

Today I have done absolutely nothing. Had a good chat with an indian-american guy who lives here. Wearing a watch is good. It's a reason for people to come up and talk to you.

Every day I make small notes in my head about the life here. Some times I write them down sometimes I don't. Everyday I think about Finland, Helsinki and all the people there. There are also a lot of people in other parts of the world I think about every day. I wouldn't say I'm lonely or home sick but I do spend a lot of time on the Internet.

Often I'm tormented with guilt for being here. I feel so privileged. I feel like I'm not doing enough, seeing enough. But one thing I set out to do, I've done. I came to see if people actually live like they do on travel programs. And fuck me, they do! I have had some extremely surreal moments on this trip because of that. It's funny how easy you also get used to it. After a while, living chickens on the markets, fried crickets, tuktuks, monks and packed buses stop amazing you. They don't annoy you either. They just are.

The thing I have to tell myself all the time that it's okay to eat western food. Actually I have to. Rice is coming out of my ears, noodles I haven't been able to eat since Mongolia and I'm still going to places where there is nothing else.

One thing I thought I would do and haven't done was working or at least taking part in some projects. I justify myself by saying that I haven't stayed in one place long enough for me to do that. Or maybe I've just been lazy and enjoyed being a tourist. 'Cause that's what I've been, for almost six months now.

I don't think I'm gonna travel like this ever again. My next big trip is gonna be about learning a language getting integrated into another society. But that's not to say I haven't enjoyed every minute of this one. Traveling is fucking cool, man! Do it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey!
Hurray for giving up smoking, hang in there mate!! Nice to see your face again, we miss you too over here.
love, Ella

Maija&Heli said...

Kirka on kuollut.