Saturday, January 27, 2007

Thailand's defence

-not that it really needs one. It's fucking cool. All you hippie backpacker three hugging world healers might say otherwise, but I know what you are really thinking. Why? 'Cause I'm always right and I'm one of you.

And this what you all say: Thailand is too touristy.

Well, of course people come here. It's pretty, there's lots do, it's fairly safe, people are friendly, it's easy to travel and it's cheaper than back home. Anyways, what you are saying is there's nothing wrong with Thailand per se, just the people who come here annoy you. Whatever. I guess you are right on that one.

Of course, you have the right to go to the remote areas, off the beaten track, where it's more authentic, where the real Thailand or the real Asia is. Be my guest. I just hope you are not taking part in making more areas depended on the unpredictable tourist industry and turning more villages in to human zoos. But of course not, you are special.

Some people say that Northern Thailand is more authentic. I was just there. I wouldn't call it more authentic than for example Bangkok. Here is a very important thing for all you hippies to think about: A MULTIMILLION CITY CAN NEVER BE JUST TOURISTY. Who said you just need to walk Khao San up and down? (Although, I think Khao San's cool. There's so good shopping to be done and some very good looking people among the idiots.) Go a couple of street down and the number of dreaded whities goes down.

And the islands being touristy? Well, if you have been on one, you know why. They are fucking amazing. Of course people go there! And all of them offer different kinds of atmospheres. (Not sure, though. Only been on one. I guess that was touristy, but there were some Thai people living there too.)

The other point you hippies bring up, is that Thailand is too western. You meant to say developed, right? It horrible that streets are paved, isn't' it? I don't think it's very western. Thailand is a country with very uniq own culture. Like most countries. I think it's cute, a bit kitsch, great and interesting. Influence from west and the existence of a middle class have created ground for a very cool youth culture. You don't see that everywhere in South east Asia.

Long live the King!

No comments: